Monday, November 27, 2006

Learning Languages

Since the beginning of the program almost 5 months ago, I have had many interesting discussions with my fellow classmates on language learning, including a few just this past weekend. With such a culturally diverse group of people, I guess it's only natural that this is a hot topic in this MBA program. Plus, the famous Japanese language proficiency test (Ikkyu) is scheduled for this Sunday and some of us are taking it.

Many of us (well...probably "all" of us) have had to learn a second or third or fourth or nth language to very high levels. A few of us have even taught languages. So there are many different takes on what the best language acquisition methodology is. Well, personally, I don't think that there is a "best" methodology. My opinion is that you should be exposed to as many different strategies as possible by talking to people who's done it before. Then try 'em out and retain a few techniques that work best for you.

For me, I do a very limited amount of formal and systematic studying at the beginning of the learning process, after which I concentrate on keeping MOTIVATION levels high so that I will practice, practice, and practice. Basically, I do such things as travel, make foreign friends, or translate stuff that interests me (newspapers, magazines, DVDs, etc.). I also do some weird and crazy stuff like using foreign languages to have conversations with myself or to take notes during class. Anyways, if anyone is interested, here is a blog entry on the details of my techniques. I hope that it will be helpful enough to be retained in your toolbox.

I know that many others in this program also have extremely valuable insights in this area. I hope that they will also share their experience with us here, since foreign languages are an integral part of life for all current and future students of McGill MBA Japan Program.

tetsu

What's New on Tetsu's BLOG?

No comments: